WINTER'S JOY


Being an artist is not always as easy as it seems. 

Like climbing a mountain, until you see the view from the top, or at least a glimpse of something beautiful, it doesn’t seem worth the effort - but it is.

With each painting effort there is a breakthrough of sorts, even if it is to work through our own dissatisfactions, doubts, fears and boredom, which can happen to any of us. But that's not the end of the "climb."

In my experience, breakthroughs become a small act of some new purpose that I learn to work towards - It is the thing I seek. 

No small effort is useless, so I decide to take it on, the smaller the better. There is a gain even in the effort to "rest."

It seems that winter is a time that nature rests, and in it's silence I experience a certain joy. 

This joy then can become my small purpose. It can be as simple as choosing the size of the canvas, placing it on the easel, picking up the colourful tubes, brushes and imagining the first brush stroke.

Painting "Winter's Joy" doesn't end in one day either, and so one small purpose leads to another. 

Mountains take time to climb, and some paintings need to be visited more often. It didn't stop me from preparing a few more canvases, and that's a good thing.

I also spend some time looking at the work in progress to see what I like and what could use some more colour or refinement. Time in Silence.

In this time, I discover it useful to not give too much attention to the uninspired moments, but rather seek in my heart the small effort for that moment and inspirations from my soul.

These small purposeful acts add up to one big outcome...and that is the "Work of Art!" 

Even if you do not reach the top of the mountain you will find joy entering the picture and sometimes as silently as when snow falls. 

May the New Year bring you times of Peace, Joy and Thanksgiving. 

Jane

This writing is featured in my latest free NEWSLETTER: SIGN UP HERE

"Winter's Joy" is a new 20" x 20" Oil on Canvas - See this painting and more landscapes HERE


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Expressing the Landscape Poem

Monaco Art Fair